Clothing sizes can vary between different clothing brands and manufacturers, so it’s always best to check the specific size chart the brand provides.
How Do Toddler Clothing Sizes Correspond To Age?
Toddler clothing sizes are designed to correspond to a child’s age, with 2T being for a 2-year-old, 3T for a 3-year-old, and so on. It’s always a good idea to measure your child before making a purchase to ensure the best fit.
Different Types Of Toddler Clothing Sizes
There are two main types of toddler clothing sizes: T sizes and numeric sizes.
T sizes, as mentioned earlier, range from 2T to 5T.
Numeric sizes, on the other hand, are usually labeled as 2, 3, 4, and so on and are designed for older children. It’s important to pay attention to the labeling when purchasing toddler clothing to ensure you’re getting the correct size.
Toddlers grow at their own pace, making it challenging to find the right size of clothes for them. On average, a one-year-old boy weighs around 18-21 pounds and measures 24-26 inches in height, while a girl of the same age weighs about 17-19 pounds and stands 21-23 inches tall.
By age two, the average measurements increase to 26-30 pounds and 3 feet, 9 inches for boys, and 23-25 pounds and 2 feet, 7 inches for girls. It’s important to note that these are just averages, and some toddlers may be smaller or larger than others at these ages.
Toddler Clothing Size Chart
To help you find the right size for your child, here is a general toddler clothing size chart:
|Size||Weight ( lbs.)||Height ( inc.)|
|Newborn||Up to 8lbs. / up to 3.63 kg||Up to 21.5 in./ up to 54.6 cm|
|0-3M||8-12.5lbs. / 3.63-5.67 kg||Up to 24 in./ up to 60.96 cm|
|3-6M||12.5-16.5lbs. / 5.67-7.48 kg||24-26.5 in./ 60.96-67.31 cm|
|6-9M||16.5-20lbs. / 7.48-9.07 kg||26.5-28.5 in./ 67.31-72.39 cm|
|9-12M||20.5-24.5lbs. / 9.30-11.11 kg||28.5-30.5 in./ 72.39-77.47 cm|
|12-18M||24.5-27.5lbs. / 11.11-12.47 kg||30.5-32.5 in./ 77.47-82.55 cm|
|18-24M||27.5-30lbs. / 12.47-13.61 kg||32.5-34 in./ 82.55-86.36 cm|
|2T||26-29 lbs. / 11.79-13.15 kg||32-36 in./ 81.28-91.44 cm|
|3T||29-33 lbs. / 13.15-14.97 kg||36-39 in./ 91.44-99.06 cm|
|4T||33-36 lbs. / 14.97-16.33 kg||39-42 in./ 99.06-106.68 cm|
|5T||36-40lbs. /16.33-18.14kg||42-45in./ 106.68-114.3 cm|
US Toddler Clothing Size vs. European Clothing Sizes
|US Size||European Size||UK Size|
7 Tips To Determine The Right Size For Your Child
When it comes to determine the right size of clothing for your child, there are a few things to keep in mind:
- Measure your child: The best way to ensure that you’re buying the right size clothing for your child is to measure them. Use a measuring tape to measure your child’s chest, waist, hips, and inseam. Then, compare these measurements to the size chart provided by the brand you’re purchasing from.
- Consider your child’s height and weight: It’s also important to consider their height and weight when determining the right size of clothing. Some children may be taller or heavier than average for their age, which can impact their clothing size.
Here is, how you can take child’s measurements for clothing. See the video below.
- Leave room for growth: Toddlers grow quickly, so it’s a good idea to buy clothing that has some room for growth. This will ensure that your child can wear the dress for a longer period of time before outgrowing.
- Check for Comfort: Comfort is key when it comes to toddler clothing. Ensure the clothing is comfortable for your child to move around in and that the fabric is soft and non-irritating.
- Consider the Season: The season can also play a role in finding the right fit for your child. For example, size up on winter clothing to allow for layering.
- Check for stretchy fabric: Some fabrics are stretcher than others, so it’s essential to check the fabric before purchasing. Stretchy fabric is more comfortable for babies and allows a better fit.
- Remember the diaper: Diapers can add bulk to your baby’s bottom, so it’s important to consider when buying clothes, especially pants. Check the waistband and make sure it’s not too tight or too loose, as this can make your baby uncomfortable.
In conclusion, toddler clothing sizes can be a bit tricky to navigate, but with the right knowledge and tools, you can ensure that your little one is comfortable and looking their best. It’s important to measure your toddler’s height and weight to determine the correct size and to consult a size chart to ensure a good fit. Keep in mind that sizes can vary between brands, so it’s important to check the chart for the brand you’re purchasing from.